....

Customize It All

Monday, April 23, 2012

My First Visual Novel So Far

I have done a lot more with my visual novel since I started this blog a while ago.  Keeping a blog about my indie work does help me move faster and keep track of things. Down below are drawings I have done for Trapped.


 Title screen

Background


A scene the player can get based on her/his choices

Of course all these sketches are rough and are not finished yet.  Most of my focus has been on the writing which I believe should come first when making a visual novel.  I can figure out what I have to draw if I have the whole story fleshed out.  Not to say that writing this visual novel has been a walk in the park. Aside from figuring out choices and how to lead to certain story paths; keeping people's interests during long periods of reading concerns me.  

I have a few moments when the main character is left alone.  She likes to think.  Should I let the player simply read through her thoughts (three to four paragraphs worth) or should I put some choices for the player to select while she is thinking?  I'm not sure if I will have those choices go toward any path or not. 

If people simply get bored with my first visual novel and delete it after five minutes due to boredom then I should not be surprised.  A person's first game is never his or her greatest work.

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I think maybe you should consider the benefits of both.

In some situations the menu choices might be more useful and in others it might be best for her to have a single unaltered train of thought. Maybe during or between important events and such, while you could give menu choices for the enjoyment of the player at other events or for path changing purposes.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Sometimes, to much choice is a bad thing, but editing is going to be an important aspect to develop as a game developer.

Good luck either way.