....

Customize It All

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Learning From Anime Conventions (Nekocon 2014)

Nekocon 2014
FullSizeRender (18)
Last Friday was Nekocon 2014.  Like any anime convention, I had the chance to speak with people who are into the same anime and video games that I like.  The panels this year were what I needed to feel inspired and ready to continue working on Trapped, National Novel Writing Month, and my anatomy drawing practice.

 In an ironic sort of way, I visited a panel in which the panelist showed us how he made video game music and the music rules that applied to modern and old video games.  On the same day, I was contacting with a man who emailed me, saying he is interested in making music for Trapped (more on that in later posts).  The Making a Strong Female Character; More than Just a Sword panel, there was a lot of talk on making MENTALLY strong female characters.

There was some good ideas.  I always think of the character's personalities, flaws, motivation, perks before thinking about their gender.  From the panelists suggestions, even battle girl in bikini armor number 123,454,564 could be an interesting character with good writing.  It was also nice to hear that one of the panelists was adding some fanservice for females after having just fanservice for males in his work for a long time.
One thing that really stuck with me on that panel was the concept of fridging and how bad it is.  The idea makes me shudder.
 
Artist Alley
FullSizeRender (52)FullSizeRender (53)
At the artist alley, I wanted to see some work that would get me inspired to pick up my tablet pen again.  In the above picture, the artist's work drew my attention rather easily.  We spoke for a bit and she told me how long she was working on her anatomy skills and how she goes about attracting people to her art table.   I would like to sell artwork in the future at conventions but, for this year, I will work on putting some of my work for auction at the next Nekocon.
 
Yaoi, Yaoi, and More Yaoi
There was the History of Yaoi and Yaoi Cliches panel.  I always like going to the yaoi panels, as I get to hear different opinions on yaoi from people who love yaoi.  My boyfriend, being that amazing boyfriend that he is, often accompanies me to these panels.  At the History of Yaoi the panelist explained that game developers have used yaoi to their advantage in attracting people to play their games (example is Chris and Wesker from Resident Evil, Jin and Ragna from Blazblue, etc).

I spoke with the panelist for Yaoi Cliches and she told me to find ideas for yaoi through Tumblr.  Considering the stuff she showed during her presentation (from Tumblr) and my boyfriend's horrified face (he saw more than stuff than he could handle this time), I'll have to be brave while searching Tumblr's dark places for ideas. The best part about the panel was learning what men could and could not take during intimate times.

Till next time for Nekocon.

This post was already on www.darksirengames.com a few days ago. 

0 comments: